Yes, you can clear your criminal record from the criminal record database in South Africa. We have a 100% success rate with applications submitted to the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development.
What is Criminal Record Expungement?
Criminal Record Expungement is the process of removing a criminal record from your name on the National Criminal Database in terms of the Criminal Procedure Act, Act 51 of 1977. You can continue life without a conviction to your name. In order to apply for the expungement of a criminal record in terms of the Act, applicants must comply with certain criteria.
When do I qualify for a criminal record expungement?
Applicants may apply for the expungement of a criminal record with the following conditions as set out in the Act:
- The conviction date is older than 10 years at the time of application;
- Sentenced to a fine of not exceeding R20 000-00;
- Sentenced to imprisonment with the option of a fine not exceeding R20 000-00;
- Corporal punishment;
- The sentence was postponed;
- You were cautioned and discharged;
- Imprisonment wholly suspended;
- Correctional supervision in terms of section 276(1)(h) of the Act;
- Periodical imprisonment in terms of section 276(1)(i) of the Act.
When do I not qualify for the expungement of a criminal record?
You will not qualify if:
- If the application is made before 10 years has passed since the conviction date;
- The fine imposed was more than R20 000-00;
- Direct imprisonment;
- Sentenced to direct imprisonment during the 10 years from the relevant conviction date;
- Your details appear in the National Register for Sex Offenders or National Child Protection Register
Process for the Expungement of a record
Applicants wanting to clear their criminal record from the national criminal record database must provide the following:
- Expungement application form;
- South African Police Clearance Certificate issued 10 years after the conviction date (not older than 6 months at the time of the Expungement application);
- Copy of Identity document or passport.